Mark Pope had perhaps his best game as a Hurricane against NC State
Mark Pope had one of the best games of his Miami career on Friday night against NC State, finishing the evening with 6 receptions, for 97 yards and 1 touchdown in the 44-41 win.
— GO ‘CANES! (@83_87_89_91_01) November 10, 2020
“This is why I came to Miami, stuff like this. I’m just going along, keep working hard,” Pope told the media on Tuesday.
The junior has been up and down since he came to Miami, and several weeks ago, there was news that an open competition at wide receiver would be going on. Not just Pope, but also Mike Harley and Dee Wiggins would need to step up their game if they wanted to remain starters, and they’ve done just that.
“Our practice habits changed. We’re going hard every play. We’ve been holding each other accountable,” Pope said when asked about the competition.
Miami’s passing game had his best day of the season on Friday, as D’Eriq King threw for 430 yards, and three wide receivers had more than 70 yards receiving.
— CanesCutUps (@canescutups) November 9, 2020
“I’m feeling confident. I’m feeling like Mark Pope again.”
- Phillips on the Virginia Tech rushing offense: “I think we’re kind of starting to get more comfortable playing the run. This week is going to be a big challenge for us, but we’ll be ready.”
- Phillips on playing Virginia Tech: “It’s always hard to win a game on the road. It’s going to be key for us to stay focused, not let them get any kind of home field advantage.”
- Nelson on the offensive line: “The o-line, as a whole, has gotten a lot better. But it helps having D’Eriq (King) in the backfield, who is very elusive.”
- Couch on true freshman Avantae Williams: “He’s a worker. He comes to practice everyday like he’s ready to play.”
- Couch on Christian Williams leaving to the transfer portal: “That was a situation, nobody understood what was going on. I knew I was going to have a bigger role than I did last year.”