Miami Marlins-Handout Photo
I dare you to watch Monday’s Kim Ng introductory press conference and not feel confident about the direction of the Marlins organization.
Ng-credible first impression
Accompanied at Marlins Park Monday morning by CEO Derek Jeter and chairman Bruce Sherman, new general manager Kim Ng spent nearly an hour fielding media questions via Zoom. Topics included her upbringing, the many people within Major League Baseball who taught and supported her throughout the last three decades, and what her hiring signifies for future generations of women.
I’m thrilled to add Ng to the Fish Stripes GIF Database!
How long will the “honeymoon” last? Well, Ng’s front office has several transactions to make this week. Friday at 5 p.m. ET is the deadline to protect eligible prospects in advance of the Rule 5 Draft. Infielder José Devers and outfielder Jerar Encarnación are likely to be selected in the Rule 5 unless the Marlins put them on the 40-man roster. They must also keep in touch with the other teams to capitalize on intriguing players who are getting squeezed off the 40-man—that’s how Miami acquired Garrett Cooper and Caleb Smith (2017) and Nick Anderson (2018).
Winter ball underway
Marlins prospects Lewin Díaz (Estrellas Orientales) and Jesús Sánchez (Toros del Este) were set for a head-to-head matchup in the Dominican Winter League season opener on Sunday, but the game was postponed after a lengthy delay. Instead, they got back to business versus different opponents on Monday night. Díaz went 1-for-3 with a walk, including a single against former MLB All-Star Neftalí Feliz; Sánchez went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- As first reported by El Extrabase’s Daniel Álvarez Montes, Al Pedrique will manage the Marlins’ Triple-A affiliate in 2021. Keith Johnson previously held that position. Mari Montes confirms that the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp are reclassifying from Double-A to Triple-A.
- Michael Hill, who already interviewed for the Mets front office vacancy earlier this month, is in contention for the Phillies, too.
- A baseball trailblazer in her own right, Yankees radio broadcaster Suzyn Waldman reacted to the Ng hiring on MLB Network.
- In honor of his NL Manager of the Year award, Marlins team photographer Joseph Guzy shared a bunch of his favorite photos of Don Mattingly from the 2020 season.
- Drew Smyly joined the Braves on a one-year, $11 million deal. The Marlins haven’t faced Smyly in a regular season game since 2016, but he quietly posted a bonkers 37.8 K% for the Giants this season.
- The Athletic’s Jim Bowden does not see third baseman Brian Anderson as an obvious contract extension candidate—his list focuses on players entering their final year under club control and those who’ve previously received All-Star recognition.
- Get caught up on our All-Time Marlins Countdown. New players featured seven days a week throughout the offseason!