The latest Miami Marlins coverage coming off a youth-led victory.
New Marlins Game Recap
- Tuesday’s minor league scores: Triple-A Jacksonville won, 6-4; Double-A Pensacola won, 5-2; High-A Beloit lost, 9-5 (F/10); Low-A Jupiter, FCL Marlins and DSL Marlins were postponed. So close to pulling off a rain-aided organizational sweep.
- A sell-out crowd of 3,500 was on hand for the opening of the Snappers’ new home, ABC Supply Stadium. It’s got larger field dimensions than the old place not to mention expanded clubhouses and dugouts, a 40-foot-by-40-foot video board and more amenities.
- Cody Poteet’s final line in his first rehab start with Jacksonville: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K (45 pitches).
- FiveThirtyEight gives the Marlins a 45% chance to win their next game against the Mets.
- The decision to turn Jorge Alfaro into a part-time left fielder came on fairly short notice, but Alfaro is willing to give it a try. Earlier this week, I recommended that the Marlins cut ties with the 28-year-old now, but that was under the premise that he was a catcher only. No harm done in experimenting with this while Jesús Sánchez remains out.
- Juan Páez likes what JJ Bleday has done lately and believes trading Max Meyer to the Angels for center fielder Brandon Marsh—which nearly happened last week, according to the Miami Herald—would have been a huge mistake.
- Corey Dickerson’s debut for the Blue Jays, after seven weeks on IL and five weeks since being traded, came as their starting designated hitter. He went hitless in four plate appearances, but the Jays beat Cleveland, 7-2.
- Starling Marte was the only bright spot in an Oakland A’s lopsided loss, as he homered for the first time with his new squad. He’s eager to play every single day to help them secure a postseason berth, writes Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.
- Miguel Rojas’ teammates voted him as the Marlins Heat and Hustle Award winner. He received this honor in 2019, too. Well deserved!
- Eddy Alvarez and Team USA advanced to the baseball semifinals at the Tokyo Olympics. Alvarez describes the unique gameday atmosphere in The Olympic Diaries.
- Nick Pollack of Pitcher List was excited by Jesús Luzardo’s Marlins debut, but still has concerns about his inconsistent command.